Monday, February 28, 2011

Learn and play new sports: Highland Games edition

Well, my dear blog readers, I am excited to report that I've added another new sport to my "repertoire", in addition to weightlifting.

THROWING HEAVY SHIT!

On February 19th I had my first exposure to the throwing events that make up the Highland Games.

The local community of throwers always organizes an athlete clinic the Saturday prior to the yearly games held in the area -- Northeast Florida Scottish Highland Games and Festival. It was a pretty good time, and I really learned a lot!

Then this past Saturday, the 26th, it was time for the real deal. I was excited, but nervous, because several events had not gone very well in practice. In particular, caber toss and sheaf toss.

In the end I was able to complete a successful attempt in each of the 7 events, which is awesome for my first games. Woohoo!

Here are some pictures. :)


Practice session -- Weight for height event

Stone - setup

Stone - release

Hammer - going...

Hammer - going...

Hammer - GONE!

Sheaf toss

Weight for height

Caber Toss

Caber Toss
--
For my "memory" here's a score sheet I put together for myself.

As for the "approximations" of my scores, that's a lesson learned -- next time I will pay more attention to what the judges call out, now that I know you don't get a personal scoresheet at the end. :)

  • 28# heavy weight for distance: ~21'
  • 14# light weight for distance: ~23' (need lots of work here)
  • Stone throw for distance: ~21'
  • 12# hammer throw: ~44'
  • 28# weight over bar: made 8', 9' and 10' throws; hit bar twice at 11'
  • Sheaf toss: made 8', 10', missed big time on all 3 attempts at 12'
  • Caber toss: got one good pick and got a 15 degree toss/turn/not sure what the right word is. So excited about that because I didn't think I'd even be able to pick it up at all!

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome! I used to throw the shot put, weight and hammer in college--How did you find these highland games? I wonder if they have any in New England at all...

    ReplyDelete