Thursday, June 24, 2010

RJ

I had been seeing that several affiliate blogs were no longer posting their WODs (in particular CrossFit Unlimited), so on this particular day I decided to show up without looking at the blog.

Aaaaand, of course on this day we were climbing the rope and I had totally inappropriate clothing and shoes on. And I had to work that night, so no do-over. Grrrrr.

So I ended up doing this WOD with substitutions for the rope climbs. And honestly, it would've been *a lot* easier to just climb the rope 5 times instead of doing 15 pullups and 10 rope planks.

I think read a blog once about making the substitution so much worse than the actual movement that it motivates your athletes to learn to do the movement. At the time, I kind of raised my eyebrows and wondered if that was a good idea. After doing this WOD, I'm thinking it's a brilliant concept, but only if the person is strong enough to do the movement. If they're just afraid to try, or frustrated, the penalty of great pain could be a very useful (and sneaky) motivator. :-D
"RJ"
5 rounds for time:
800m run
5 rope climbs
50 push ups
Results: 48:04 -- 3 rounds, subbed 15 pullups & 10 rope planks for rope climbs

There was a 45 minute cutoff for this WOD, hence the 3 rounds.

All pushups were fully Rx, which I am very proud of. I have come really far on my pushups.

15 pullups and 10 rope planks were just brutalizing. Time to add a pair of long socks to my workout bag for those occasions where I want to climb the rope. And honestly they come in handy for on-the-fly deadlift work as well.

I need a follow up with this hero WOD, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment