Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Chipper WOD on a Wednesday

For time:
  • Front plank hold - 2 min 
  • 500m row
  • 50 lunge steps
  • 10 hang power cleans (155/95) 
  • 8 L-pullups
  • 21 deadlifts (155/95)
Results: 13:18, scaled up weight to 105#

This WOD was my first attempt at L-pullups, and I was pretty happy that I was able to crank them out. Did a little kip as I swung my legs up into place to get started, not sure if that's "Rx" or not? Hit chin above bar, then controlled the legs while I lowered back down -- I know that part was right, at least on the last 5-6. Was working on figuring it out the first 2-3 reps. Have been practicing those since this WOD.

Scaled up hang power cleans and deadlifts -- for me, if the male load is 155, the female load should be 75% of that, or 115. The power clean was the limiting factor for me, so I had to stick with about 70% of the male load at 105. Just a difference in opinion between me and the owner of my box. I was glad that I chose a more challenging weight for my cleans and deads.

Really worked my good form on these cleans. Doing Grace twice in the last couple months, I noticed myself getting really sloppy on landing power cleans. Instead of dropping under the bar more as it lessened in upward momentum, I was landing my feed waaaaaaay wide and letting my knees cave in. No good. So for these 10 reps I popped the bar as high as possible, but still dropped under with good solid form to land it solid on the shoulder.

I think I made it through 15-16 of the deadlifts before my grip gave out. Using mixed grip I may have made it all the way to 21 without stopping. I'm still happy with that split though -- only 1 re-grip in a set of 21 is a great improvement for me on deadlifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment