Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Words from Stephanie, WOD by Christine

A reminder:

"Even though I have set these goals, they are not why I Crossfit. I Crossfit because I love my body. I Crossfit because it helps me to experience the present moment (my meditation). I have goals, but in every workout I am committed to loving and accepting my body's current abilities. I believe with every part of me, that the only way to truly attain "what we want" is by accepting and taking joy in what we already have."
- Stephanie

--
Something that I've read about 3 times, but don't have a coherent response to yet. But very thought-provoking...

What's Eating You?

--
Yesterday we did a WOD that was created by one of our members. She has been CrossFitting for several months, and back in March participated in our Paleo challenge. She saw *amazing* results from changing her diet -- she's lost over 20 pounds and 2 clothing sizes, and her performance in the gym is absolutely taking off. Way to go Christine! The thought of the smile on her face as she told me about her new summer sundresses is what pushed me through this WOD. She worked hard and she so deserves her success, health and happiness. :)
"Our Christine"
For time:
1000m row
then
10 rounds:
10 pullups
10 situps
10 pushups
Results: ~38 minutes; only finished 8 rounds

4:14 again on the 1k row. I'm satisfied with that.

I've had some pesky palm issues with my hands, so I decided to hang from my fingers for the pullups. Well, that worked until round 7 when I started tearing the skin off the middle of my fingers. So I switched to palm grip, and by the end of the 10 pullups in round 8 I had ripped off a huge chunk of my right hand, and reopened two other hot spots. So, I was done.

I love you Christine, and I wanted to finish your WOD! My arms had 20 more pullups left in them, but my hands did not.

The good news is that I was kipping up to and over the bar just about every time. There were a few ugly pullups, but they were absolutely in the minority. That was my main goal for the WOD and I'm glad I achieved it.

In relaying the events of my workout to my husband, I realized that my pushups have really been getting awesome. I know I have been down on myself about pullups, and I think that's because they are so symbolic to me. If I can do pullups, I am *absolutely* strong and I can conquer anything. Losing them made me feel vulnerable, I think? Anyway, pushups are badass too, so I embrace them as my new strength until I get fully back on my feet with the pullups. :)

--
Leaving in a few minutes to take a trip north and spend some time with my family. MUCH NEEDED time with my family. I also get to see one of my best friends graduate from Penn State with his doctorate. I am so freakin' proud of him. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Girl!
    Great to see you keeping at it and way to go on the pullups today! My advice though? Don't worry so much about the pullups--they are not the be all and end all. I've learned the hard way. I've been w/o a traditional pullup bar for 4 months now and thought I'd lost it all. But, I kept at the pushups, endless burpees handstands, toes to bar/knees to elbows etc. I was so nervous for Fran at the cert...I had grand ideas of PR'ing back in January...but how could I PR if I'd only done less than 10 WODs with pullups in 4 months? I don't know how, but I PR'd by almost 4 min and did every pullup kipping w/ chin over the bar. Trainers were counting every rep and I had to do a few extra... I nearly cried when I was done. So, REST and HEAL those hands and embrace all the other things that make you strong and when you're ready, you'll fly over that bar!!

    ReplyDelete